The Sassafras house at 83rd and Second, is one of the oldest houses on the island dating back to well...
of Stone Harbor, New Jersey
The Historic Preservation Committee of the Stone Harbor Museum endeavors to encourage the preservation of the unique heritage of Stone Harbor. The establishment of the “Vintage Houses of Stone Harbor” program formally recognizes and celebrates certified houses. For a complete listing of all the vintage houses in Stone Harbor, please visit the museum at 9410 2nd Ave in Stone Harbor.
Vintage House of the Month
Criteria for certification could include:
- Built circa 1950’s and earlier
- Property is associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history;
- Property is associated with the lives of persons significant in our past.
- Property embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction.
- Property has yielded, or likely to yield, information important in our prehistory or history.
A certified Vintage House of Stone Harbor will receive:
- Authorization to display one 14″ x 10″ solid cast aluminum oval official Vintage House plaque with the date of the house in the center
- If unsure of the original construction date, the Museum will do the research to determine the accurate date
- One signed & sealed certificate suitable for framing
- Placement on the Vintage Houses of Stone Harbor register in the Museum
- Listing in the Walking/biking Tour of Vintage Houses brochure
- Total cost $125, includes all of the above + shipping & tax
The First Vintage House
Life Saving Station
Life Saving Station built in 1895 is the oldest building in Stone Harbor. Commander Clayton said “Our Post 331 is honored to accept this first Vintage House of Stone Harbor certification and will proudly display this plaque”.
For more information and details of how you may be able to participate please contact the Museum at 609-368-7500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also contact Bob Ashman 609-368-3342 or Terrie Cwik 609-368-4125.