July 3, 1911 was a very big day in Stone Harbor history. Four years of effort had been spent leveling the dunes, putting in roads, sewers and a water line. Hundreds of lots had been sold, scores of homes raised and now the long awaited Stone Harbor Boulevard and bridge was to be opened. Gov. Wilson was on hand to dedicate the bridge and hundreds of visitors and residents came to the opening.
The Stone Harbor Gazette commented “ There has certainly never been a more inspiring sight on the Great Channel than the lowering of the massive rolling draw-bridge to let the great caravan of automobiles and wagons of all descriptions gaily bedecked and ladened with enthusiastic Cape May people in Stone Harbor.”